The Moodle chat tool allows communication between instructors and students in real time. Unlike in discussion forums, which are a means for asynchronous communication, online chat sessions need everyone to be logged in at the same time in order to communicate.
- Turn Editing mode On.
- Select Chat from the Add an Activity Menu.
- In the adding a new chat page, give the chat room a name and provide directions on how to use the room in the Introduction text box.
- Set the time for the chat session next to Next chat time.
- The options available for a chat session are as follows:
- Don’t publish any chat times: Creates a chat room that is available to students at anytime.
- No repeats: Creates a one-time only chat room that will only be available during the time specified.
- At the same time every day: Creates a daily chat session available to students at the time specified.
- At the same time every week: Creates a weekly chat session available to students at the time specified.
- You may choose to save transcripts of chat sessions for the amount of time specified under Save Past sessions option. Choose the amount of days the transcripts are saved or choose Never delete messages.
- You may further set whether the transcripts are available to students or just to the instructor under the Everyone can view past sessions option.
- Click at the bottom of the page once you have completed choosing the chat settings.
- Access the course that you are scheduled to have a chat session in by clicking the appropriate course link.
- Click to enter the chat room.
- A new window with the chat session will start up.
- Type in the space at the bottom of the page and hit Enter to send your responses.
- To exit the chat session, close the window by clicking the icon on the upper right of the chat window.