- Click the button at the top right hand corner of your screen.
- Scroll to the module block where you want to place the quiz and select Quiz from the Add an Activity menu.
- Fill in the quiz name and write an introduction. Any guidelines for taking the quiz should be included in the introduction area.
- Under the Timing block, specify the times when the quiz will be available to participants. When enabled, the time limit (specified in number of minutes; e.g. 30) is the time that participants will have to complete the quiz.
Note: The Timing feature does not make the quiz invisible to participants. Participants who access the quiz before the open date will be able to see the introduction page, but not the quiz itself.
- Under the Display block, select if you would like the question order to be shuffled. This option will help prevent students from cheating off of one another.
- Click on at the bottom of the screen and you will be brought to the main menu for your quiz where you can proceed with adding questions.
Quizzes in Moodle can consist of multiple-choice, true-false, short answer questions, fill-in-the-blank, and other unique types of quiz questions. The quiz module in Moodle has two main components: the Quiz Body and the Question Bank. Before creating questions to a quiz, instructors will first have to create the quiz body. This is the area that sets up the availability, security, and grading options. After the quiz body and its settings have been created, question banks can be created and can be organized into categories.
- Shuffle questions will randomly order the quiz questions when displayed to students;
- Shuffle within questions will randomly order each question’s answers when displayed to students.
- Attempts allowed will dictate how many times a student can attempt to take the quiz.
- Each attempt builds on the last. If this option is set to Yes, the student’s responses from the last attempt will be visible the next time the quiz is accessed.
- Adaptive mode should be set to No. If set to Yes, the student will be allowed multiple attempts to answer the same question.
- Students may review controls whether or not students will be able to review their past attempt of a quiz.
- Show quiz in a “secure” window restricts students from copying and pasting questions/answers or printing out the quiz.
- Require password option will prompt students to enter a password before taking the quiz.
Important Note about Security Features: The secure window option only prevents students from copying and pasting questions/answers and printing out the quiz. It is not 100% effective in ensuring that students do not open another web browser or other type of file. It is good practice to always select this option.