Embedding Online Video
Embedding a video file is achieved by inserting a block of code in the web page's HTML. There are many variations on the code you can use, depending on whether you want to show video controls, status displays, etc.
- Search for a video to use in your course on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com) or Academic Earth (http://www.academicearth.org).
- Look for the Embed code on the right hand side of the page directly under the description of the video.
- Once the Embed code is highlighted, a few options will be available to you.
- You may leave the boxes unchecked, as it is set by default.
- You may set the color scheme for the control buttons of the video and also the size of the video by selecting one of the pre-set sizes. We recommend the largest size.
- Copy the code and return to the Moodle course site. Click Turn Editing On.
- In the module you want to embed the video in select Compose a page
from the Add a resource drop-down menu.
- Give the page a Name. Above the Compose a Page text box click on the <> icon to toggle the HTML Source. Paste the embed code from YouTube or Academic Earth here. Click on the <> icon again.
Note: The video will not display until the resource has been saved; returning to a blank page after toggling the HTML view is normal.
- In the Window drop-down menu set whether you want the video to display in the Same window as Moodle, or to pop-up in a New window (recommended). Finally, enable the setting: Keep page navigation visible on the same page.
- Click on
- The link to the video will appear in the module you placed the resource in.