Sample Course Development Timeline
The sample timeline below details the steps involved in developing an online course over a 12 week period. The steps are presented in a particular order, but you can reorganize them to suit your needs. If you have questions about any of these steps, please contact the FCPE.
- Contact FCPE liaison
- Develop syllabus
- Develop a module-based course outline with learning objectives for each module
- Develop a detailed course outline including all activities and module dates
- Access to all relevant accounts (eCampus, Moodle)
- Access to your Moodle course
- Set-up Moodle modules (topics)
- Familiarize yourself with educational technologies (communication tools, lecture recording tools, Turnitin)
By end of week 4: Detailed course outline completed. Discuss with your FCPE liaison.
- Develop and collect course materials for introduction module and one other module of your choice (including text, images, sound, video, animation, or other learning objects as desired)
- Write course introductory module from beginning to end
- Write all instructions regarding expectations, communication, and submission procedures
- Obtain required plug-ins, hardware, and software
- Load materials into Moodle
By end of week 6: Introductory module and one other course module completed in Moodle. Discuss modules with your FCPE liaison.
- Collect and develop all remaining course materials (including text, images, sound, video, animation or other learning objects as desired)
- Use detailed course outline
- Write all course modules
- Upload all course materials into Moodle course
- Set-up grade book
- Review and test all course materials including links and activities (FCPE student technologists can help)
By end of week 10: Entire course completed and ready for testing by your FCPE Liaison and FCPE student technologists.
All revisions need to be implemented in the Moodle course.
Make course available to registered students.