TurnItIn is an internet-based plagiarism-detection service. It checks homework assignments and essays to an extensive global database and checks the documents for plagiarism.
To have the assignment linked to Turnitin, you have to first create an assignment
Creating a Turnitin Assignment
- Access the course you are teaching.
- Click on the button.
- Click on the Add an Activity dropdown menu and click on Turnitin.
You will be redirected to the Turnitin page for Moodle.
- Enter an Assignment Title and Point Value, if desired.
- Set the Start Date, Due Date, and Post Date.
Important Note: Be sure to set the Post Date to occur at the same time or after the Due Date of the assignment. The post date has no bearing on when grades are posted to the Moodle Gradebook.
- You may choose to click Submit to proceed with posting the assignment.
- You may also choose to customize the assignment by setting the following options: &
- Enter Special Instructions
This option allows instructors to give a detailed description to the assignment.
- Allow submissions after the due date?
This option allows instructors to determine whether or not they wish to accept late submissions for the assignment.
- Generate Originality Reports for submissions?
This option allows instructors to view the Originality Reports for submissions to an assignment in the assignment’s inbox.
- Generate Originality Reports:
- Immediately (first report is final): students are only allowed one submission.
- Immediately (can overwrite previous reports until due date): students may overwrite previous submissions.
- On due date (generate report on the due date):Report only generated on the due date.
- Exclude bibliographic materials from Similarity Index for all papers in this assignment?
This setting allows the instructor to choose to exclude text appearing in the bibliography, works cited, or references sections of student papers from being checked for matches when generating Originality reports.
- Exclude quoted materials from Similarity Index for all papers in this assignment?
This setting allows the instructor to choose to exclude text appearing in quotes from being checked for matches when generating Originality reports.
- Exclude Small Matches?
This setting allows the instructor to choose to exclude matches that are not of sufficient length (determined by the instructor) from being checked for matches when generating Originality reports.
- Allow students to see Originality Reports?
This option gives you the choice of whether or not students can see their Originality Reports in their class assignment portfolio.
- Submit papers to:
Leave it to the default setting (standard paper repository).
Note: If you set it to ‘no repository’, then the papers turned in would not be stored in the database and used for future plagiarism searches.
- Search options:
Make sure that all three boxes are checked, that will allow a greater percentage of accuracy in the results.
- After identifying your preferences, click on Submit to make the assignment available. It will then show you a preview of how the assignment appears to the students and shows the Due date and Time.
Important Note: If you want to go back to your course, you should never click on the back button of the browser. Instead, on the bread crumb click on Home and it will take you back to your main course list. To return to your course, click on the Course Link.
Grading a Turnitin Assignment
Turnitin: From a Student’s Perspective